New Resident Guide City Manager Updates Community Newsletters Reports and Studies Oberlin 2025 - Our Shared Vision Oberlin Underground Railroad Center Project Community Newsletter & Links Bios


Back to Information


Q:  Where is the funding for the Oberlin Underground Railroad Center (OURC) project coming from?

A:  Funding sources are as follows: 1) Congressional Funds for architectural planning and design, thanks to Senator Sherrod Brown and Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur ($200,000); 2) Federal Transportation Enhancement Funds administered through NOACA/ODOT ($917,600); 3) 20% Matching Funds ($229,400 to meet NOACA fund requirement) to be raised by the Oberlin Underground Railroad Center Implementation Team (OURCIT); 4) Oberlin City Council (possibly 4 annual allocations of $50,000 up to $200,000); and 5) Grants and community fundraising now underway (more than $1,000,000).


Q:  How will the money be spent?

A:  Architectural design and construction plans (approximately $200,000; paid for with Congressional Funds); stabilization and exterior rehabilitation of the Gasholder Building (approximately $400,000; recently completed and paid for with a portion of the $917,000 NOACA grant and the 20% matching fund requirement from our generous donors); site improvements and Park-and-Ride amenities (approximately $700,000; will be paid for with the remaining NOACA grant funds with a 20% match requirement); interior building renovation with educational and historical artwork and artifacts (approximately $1,000,000; currently unfunded).


Q:  Is my donation to the OURC project tax-deductible since the project is sponsored by a 501(c)3?

A:  Yes.  The IRS allows you to deduct your donations/contributions only if you make them to a qualified organization.  As a government entity that is a political subdivision of the State of Ohio, the City of Oberlin is a qualified organization.  All donations/contributions received for the City of Oberlin Gasholder Project are fully tax deductable to the extent allowed by law.  Please contact your tax advisor if you have additional questions or visit the U.S. Treasurer website at


Q:  I would like to donate using my credit card versus sending a check.  Can I do that?

A:  Absolutely.  Simply click on the "Donate" tab on the OURC main page and follow the secure Pay-Pal link. 

Contact Information

Eric Norenberg, City Manager
Phone: (440) 775-7206
Contact Eric

           Download our Official Mobile App

Follow the City of Oberlin on Twitter  'Like' the City on Facebook!

To get news via text message without Twitter, just text 'follow cityofoberlin' to 40404. 


Wanda Davis, Assistant City Manager/ Human Resources Administrator
Phone: (440) 775-7205
Contact Wanda

Diane Ramos, Administrative Assistant, City Manager's Office/Human Resources Dept.
Phone: (440) 775-7217
Contact Diane


Promote Your Page Too

Oberlin City Hall - 85 South Main Street - Oberlin, Ohio 44074 Ph. (440) 775-1531 Fax (440) 775-7208 Copyright © 2014, City of Oberlin. All rights reserved.