Automated Refuse & Recycling Update
Residents have embraced the new program, taking full advantage of the opportunity to reduce waste by recycling more.
Proper cart placement is very important to allow our workers to collect your refuse and recycling efficiently and safely. The mechanical arm must be able to grab each cart without knocking over the other carts or contacting fixed objects like trees or mailboxes. If you live in an apartment complex, please share the available curb lawn area with your neighbors.
When setting out your refuse and recycling carts for collection be sure to:
- Place carts within 3 feet of the curb and at least 5 feet apart.
- Place the wheels towards your house/apartment with the lid closed.
- Place carts out no earlier than 12PM on the day before collection and no later than 6AM on collection day.
Automated Residential Curbside Collection:
Weekly curbside collection is provided by using the City’s carts only.
The City has a mixed, single-stream recycling curbside program,
No Sorting! View & print the mixed, recycling list of items.
Place recyclables loose and un-bagged in your recycling cart. Want to know why? Read this.
Recyclable items include plastic – food, beverage, detergent and soap containers only, #1 through #7; carton containers (milk, juice, wine, etc.); aluminum, steel and bi-metal food and beverage cans (opened by a pull-top ring or can opener); glass food and beverage containers only; mixed papers and cardboard.
Checkout this CoolCleveland video – This Is How We Recycle, going behind the scenes at Republic Services.
Residents are asked to recycle all mixed papers and broken down cardboard in the green & yellow Paper Retriever Bins behind the Library and at all schools.
Residents can also drop-off their recyclable items at the Lorain County Solid Waste Management District drive-thru Collection Center located at 540 Abbe Road in Elyria. Hours are Monday & Wednesday, noon to 6 PM and Saturday’s 9 AM to 6 PM.
Additional Recycling Drop-off Options:
- #2 & #4 plastic bags & film packaging wraps – Oberlin Community Services wants your clean & dry plastic grocery bags for reuse at their food pantry – drop-off during regular business hours.
- Styrofoam Packing peanuts, air bags & bubble wrap can be taken to any UPS store for reuse.
- Oberlin drop-off recycling & donation guide
Refuse and Recycling service is provided by the General Maintenance Division. If you have questions, comments or suggestions please email: Recycling@cityofoberlin.com or call Lori at 440-935-0096.