Income Tax Information
The City of Oberlin is a member of the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA).
All Oberlin residents are required to file annual city income tax returns, even if no tax is due. This includes anyone temporarily living away from home such as college students, teachers, etc.
Non-resident taxpayers who have income derived within the City of Oberlin and for whom the tax is not withheld by their employer must file a Oberlin City income tax return.
Oberlin’s income tax rate is 2.5%.
Oberlin residents who receive income for work performed outside the City, and pay municipal tax on such income, shall be allowed a credit of 100% against the Oberlin income tax imposed, up to a limit of 2.5%.
Partial Year Residents
If you lived in the City of Oberlin for any part of the year, you are required to file a tax return. Income, deductions and credits may be allocated on a pro-rata basis or by employer verification (i.e. payroll check stubs or letter detailing income earned during Oberlin residency.
Free E-File & E-Payment of Municipal Taxes through RITA!!
CAUTION: Although City taxes can be prepared in tax programs such as Turbotax, they cannot be e-filed through those programs. Please be sure to print and file the paper city tax returns directly with RITA or use RITA’s e-file option to properly file and avoid penalties.
Residents and employers can file and pay Municipal Income Taxes on-line through The Regional Income Tax Agency (R.I.T.A.) at www.ritaohio.com.
INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYERS ARE PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING FEATURES:
- Paperless filing online with immediate confirmation
- An automatic calculation of taxes or refunds based on W2 wages and other income.
- Ability to file even if you moved in the reporting tax year.
- Electronic transfer of funds into checking or savings accounts.
- Pay by ACH (electronic debit or checking/savings accounts), credit card or debit card.
- *NEW FOR 2021* – mail new form ‘taxpayer information’ along with W-2’s directly to RITA to have RITA prepare your tax return!
- Schedule payment of taxes – file as early as you like and set up an ACH payment anytime before April 15th.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO E-FILE:
- Social Security numbers for you and your spouse.
- W2 forms from all employers.
- 1099 forms and Federal Schedules C, E and F
- Date of move for residents that moved in the reporting tax year.
- Bank routing and account numbers – for a fast refund or to pay electronically.
EMPLOYERS FILING WITHHOLDING RETURNS ARE PROVIDED OPTIONS TO:
- Fill in a simple withholding form, or
- Attach a payroll files, then
- Make an ACH payment (electronic debit of a checking account)
FAST – SIMPLE – SECURE – FREE!
For more information, log on to www.ritaohio.com or call the R.I.T.A. office at 440 526-0900 or 800 860-7482.
Utilities – Billing:
Utilities – Past Due:
Income Tax /Acct. Payable:
Have a question? Email us firstname.lastname@example.org